NonprofitWe are Boyan Slat and Laurent Lebreton, the founder and the Lead Oceanographer of The Ocean Cleanup. We just published the most comprehensive study on the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. AMA!
Mar 24th 2018 by BoyanSlat • 16 Questions • 1016 Points
We're Boyan Slat, founder and CEO of The Ocean Cleanup, and Laurent Lebreton, The Ocean Cleanup's Lead Oceanographer. The Ocean Cleanup is a non-profit organization developing advanced technologies to rid the world's oceans of plastic. This summer we are deploying our first cleanup system inside the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, located between Hawaii and California. (see a short summary about TOC here: https://www.facebook.com/TheOceanCleanup/videos/1569348903098152/)
To solve a problem, you need to fully understand it. On Thursday we published a paper in Scientific Reports. This paper paints the most comprehensive picture of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch to date. The patch has the highest accumulation of floating plastic debris in the world’s oceans, and we found it may hold up to 16 times more plastic than previously estimated.
Find out more about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch here: https://www.theoceancleanup.com/great-pacific-garbage-patch/
and here: https://youtu.be/0EyaTqezSzs
We will start answering your questions at 12pm ET / 5 pm CET.
Ask us anything!
EDIT: We have finished answering our last question. Thanks to all of you for participating in our AMA!
What can we do to help, except from using less plastic and give money?
And by the way: thank you so, so much for your idea and your enthusiasm. I really admire your work.
Laurent: Thank you! You can also get involved, find local beach cleanup initiatives if you live by the sea or river cleanup if you are in land. I always tell people, if you go to the outdoors, bring at least three pieces of trash back with you. Boyan: + we're always looking for smart people to join our team - see our current vacancies on https://www.theoceancleanup.com/careers/
Laurent: our study helps the research on marine litter go one step further. It's an interesting science where the more you look the more you find. The numbers speak by themselves, it is good to see the outreach of the study as more and more people are becoming aware of the issue. Boyan: the results really underline the urgency to act; right now, less than 1% of the mass of the patch is smaller than 1.5mm. If we let the other 99% of the patch left to fragment, it would of course be in a pretty bad situation.